What he does:
- Ian works as an actuary in the finance department of an insurance company.
- He was able to get this job because he had successfully completed the first actuarial exam.
Math on the job:
- Ian is currently taking more actuarial exams to advance his position at his company. He uses a lot of his mathematical background while studying for these exams.
- Ian received a Bachelor of Arts Standard option in Mathematics from the University of Washington, in Autumn 2003.
- He was always interested in mathematics as a major, and saw it as a science. He has since revised that opinion to include mathematics as an art.
- Before graduation, Ian spent some time researching the actuarial field. He started studying for the first exam and attending actuarial career workshops. Once he graduated, he learned about an actuarial position from a friend who works at Symetra. This led him to apply for and get his current job.
Advice for students:
- Ian encourages students to do unassigned homework and make friends while still in school.
- Acquire some outside, non-math interests like sports or a hobby.
- If you are considering an actuarial career, take probability and statistics courses, and learn some programming skills.