- A note to the student.
- What you need to purchase:
The textbook for the course is "Calculus" by Stewart, vol.1 available
in the UW bookstore. This is a portion of the hardbound text
"Calculus, 7th Edition,
Early Transcendentals" by Stewart.
Either text will work. The custom version vol. 1 covers Math 124/125 at UW.
The custom version vol. 2 covers Math 126/324 at UW. An elctronic
version of the textbook is bundled with the WebAssign access code
- In addition to the textbook, you will need a "WebAssign access
code". You can purchase a standalone access code which includes
the ebook directly from the publisher at
website for $70 or a copy of paper textbook and the access
for $94.88 plus tax (shipping of the paper book takes 2-7 business
Read these instructions to learn How to login
to WebAssign and purchase an access code
- You can purchase the text and/or the WebAssign access code at the
bookstore as well. The descriptions at the bookstore are a little hard to
decipher. The table below may help.
WebAssign and Ebook plus paper textbook 2 P/S V.1 CALCULUS SINGLE VARIABLE (CUSTOM) (7E 12) W/ WEBASSIGN $120 Just WebAssign and Ebook DIGITAL OPTION: CALCULUS, ENHANCED MULTI TERM WEBASSIGN W/ EBOOK MATH 124 SERIES $84 Just the paper book V.1 CALCULUS SINGLE VARIABLE (7E 12) (CUSTOM) $40 ($30 used) Student Guide
SG T/A V.1 CALCULUS SINGLE VARIABLE (7E 12) Student Soultions Manual
SSM T/A SINGLE VARIABLE CALCULUS, EARLY TRANSCENDENTALS (7E 12)
- The textbook for the course is "Calculus" by Stewart, vol.1 available in the UW bookstore. This is a portion of the hardbound text "Calculus, 7th Edition, Early Transcendentals" by Stewart. Either text will work. The custom version vol. 1 covers Math 124/125 at UW. The custom version vol. 2 covers Math 126/324 at UW. An elctronic version of the textbook is bundled with the WebAssign access code described below.
- All homework is accessed and turned in online using
WebAssign. You will automatically be registered in the correct
WebAssign section on the first day of classes. You won't be able to
access the homework until then. You must enter your accesss code
within two weeks of that day.
Math 124/5/6 Grade Policy. Beginning Autumn 2012,
the department of mathematics has adopted a grade policy for
this course. The final median course grades for each lecture section of Math 124/5/6 taught during the
regular academic year will fall within
the range of 2.9 +/- 0.2. This policy does not apply to the honors sections of Math 124/5/6.
- What if the Calculus class I wish to add is closed?
- You should use the "Subscribe to seat availability notifications" option in the time schedule that will notify you when a seat opens up. You should act quickly as openings are filled on a first-come/first-served basis. During the first week, the enrollment status of a class can change hourly. There are no overloads or waiting lists. In most quarters almost all persistent students who want to take the course will find an opening sooner or later (but after the first week there may be a late fee).
- Whether or not you are officially enrolled, you should choose a class and start attending both lectures and quiz sections from the very first day. You should do any worksheets or quizzes. You will NOT be able to access homework until you are officially enrolled in the class.
- Important material is covered in the first week, and it is necessary to be in class and do the work during this period. All students are graded in the same way, and no student is excused from the first week's work.
- Students who cannot enroll in an on-campus section of Math 124, may register for Math 124M, an online section of Math124, which features online videos from an on-campus section of the course. This section has exactly the same syllabus, textbook, and homework assignments as all other sections. Math 124M is taught by the same UW faculty and grad students that teach the other sections. The instructors hold both in person and online office hours. Math124M students have the same access to the Math Study Center as other students. Registered students must take two in-person midterms, and the same common final as the on-campus sections of Math 124.
Here is a pdf file with
all of the worksheets for the quarter together in one file.
You are responsible for bringing a printout of the correct worksheet
to quiz section every Tuesday. Pdf's of each individual worksheet can
also be found in the Outline table below.
- Final Exam is Saturday December 6:
Ground Rules and Rooms.
No calculators will be permitted on the Final Exam.
Special Note: Some instructors will use assigned seating for the final exam. Consult with your course instructor for more details.
|Week||Outline/Study Guide||Exam Archive||Topics and Textbook Sections|
||MIDTERM #1 ARCHIVE||
||MIDTERM #2 ARCHIVE||