- A note to the student.
- What you need to purchase:
The textbook for the course is "Calculus" by Stewart, vol.1 available
in the UW bookstore. This is a portion of the hardbound text
"Calculus, 7th Edition,
Early Transcendentals" by Stewart.
Either text will work. The custom version vol. 1 covers Math 124/125 at UW.
The custom version vol. 2 covers Math 126/324 at UW.
- In addition to the textbook, you will need a
"WebAssign access code"; see link below.
You can purchase this code (which includes the ebook)
bundled with the textbook at
the bookstore OR you can purchase a standalone access code which includes
the ebook (if you already have the textbook or locate a used copy)
directly from the publisher at this website for $80:
The link above directs you to a cengagebrain.com webpage with "U of Washington" on the side and
"Math 124/125/126 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I, II, III" above
"Enhanced WebAssign Instant Access for Calculus, Multi-Term Courses, 1st Edition,"
and price $80. Although there is no mention of Stewart, 7th Edition Early Transcendentals, this is the correct access code to purchase.
However, if you took Math 124 in Autumn 2011 or more recently, you probably have already purchased a LOE (lifetime of edition) access code for the 7th Edition Early Transcendentals, and you do not need a new access code. If you took Math 124 before Autumn 2011, you may have already purchased an LOE access code for an earlier edition. An earlier edition Early Transcendentals LOE access code can be updated to a 7th Edition Early Transcendentals LOE access code at no cost to you; please contact your instructor to request the update.
- The textbook for the course is "Calculus" by Stewart, vol.1 available in the UW bookstore. This is a portion of the hardbound text "Calculus, 7th Edition, Early Transcendentals" by Stewart. Either text will work. The custom version vol. 1 covers Math 124/125 at UW. The custom version vol. 2 covers Math 126/324 at UW.
All homework is accessible and turned in online using WebAssign.
To sign in to WebAssign, do NOT go to the main WebAssign website.
You must enter through the
Official WebAssign site for UW,
a special WebAssign portal designed specifically for the University of Washington.
You will use your UW Net ID to sign in: How to use WebAssign.
- You can sign in to WebAssign as soon as you are enrolled and your instructor has posted homework assignments, even before you have purchased an access code. There is a two-week grace period at the beginning of the quarter for you to get your access code and enter it into WebAssign. After the grace period, you will not be able to sign in to WebAssign until you have entered a valid access code.
- To sign in to WebAssign, do NOT go to the main WebAssign website.
Here is a pdf file with all of the worksheets for the quarter
together in one file. Please download and print out this file,
and bring all of them with you to every quiz section meeting.
There is a common final exam, given at 1:30pm - 4:20pm on
Saturday afternoon, the day immediately after the last day of class.
See Date, Ground Rules, and Rooms for more information.
Calculator policy: You will need a calculator to do some of the homework problems on WebAssign, but calculators are NOT ALLOWED on exams in Math 125.
Math 124/5/6 Grade Policy. Beginning Autumn 2012,
the Department of Mathematics has adopted a grade policy for
this course. The final median course grades for each lecture
section of Math 124/5/6 taught during the
regular academic year will fall within
the range of 2.9 +/- 0.2. This policy does not apply
to the honors sections of Math 124/5/6.
- What if the Calculus class I wish to add is closed?
- You should be persistent in frequently checking for openings online, which are filled on a first-come/first-served basis. During the first week, the enrollment status of a class can change hourly; it really pays off to check frequently. There are no overloads or waiting lists. In most quarters almost all persistent students who want to take the course will find an opening sooner or later (but after the first week there may be a late fee).
- Whether or not you are officially enrolled, you should choose a class and start attending both lectures and quiz sections from the very first day. You should do any worksheets or quizzes. You will NOT be able to access homework until you are officially enrolled in the class.
- Important material is covered in the first week, and it is necessary to be in class and do the work during this period. All students are graded in the same way, and no student is excused from the first week's work.
- Students who cannot enroll in an on-campus section of Math 125 may register for Math 125 G, an online section of Math125, which features online videos based on an on-campus section of the course. This section has exactly the same syllabus, textbook, and homework assignments as all other sections. Registered students must take two in-person midterms, and the same common final as the on-campus sections of Math 125.
|Week||Outline/Study Guide||Exam Archive||Topics and Textbook Sections|
|1||Outline 1|| Antiderivatives, Areas and Distances and the Definite Integral.
(Sec. 4.9, 5.1, 5.2)
|2||Outline 2|| The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Indefinite Integrals and Total Change, the Technique of Substitution.
(Sec. 5.3, 5.4, 5.5)
|3||Outline 3||Areas between Curves, Computing Volume: Washers and Shells.
(Sec. 6.1, 6.2, 6.3)
|4||Outline 4||MIDTERM #1 Archive||Applications: Work and Average Value of a Function. Midterm #1
(Sec. 6.4, 6.5)
|5||Outline 5||Techniques of Integration: Integration by Parts, Trigonometric Integrals and Trigonometric Substitution.
(Sec. 7.1, 7.2, 7.3)
|6||Outline 6||More Techniques: Partial Fractions and Combining Techniques. Approximation of Integrals.
(Sec. 7.4, 7.5, 7.7)
|7||Outline 7||Improper Integrals and the Length of a Curve.
(Sec. 7.8, 8.1)
|8||Outline 8||MIDTERM #2 Archive||More Applications: Center of Mass. Midterm #2
|9||Outline 9||Introduction to Differential Equations: Separable Equations and Exponential Growth and Decay.
(Sec. 9.1, 9.3, 3.8, [9.4 optional])
|10||Outline 10||Final Exam Archive||Final Exam Review.|