Mathday will be held on Monday, March 20, 2017. The plenary speaker
will be Jayadev Athreya, Associate Professor of Mathematics, University of
Washington. He will speak on Gravitational Billiards: How Does a
Superball Bounce Around a Room. How can algebra help us understand
how a superball bounces around a room, and how does this depend on the
shape of the room?
There will be talks,
seminars, labs, and more activities from 10 am until noon and from
1:20 pm until 2:00 pm.
Registration forms, which will include the schdedule of fees, are
now available. For additional information, contact:
Sherri Nielsen-Hazard | UW Conference Management & Academic Programs |
Educational Outreach | 206-616-1462 | email@example.com
Donation in Honor of Ernie Esser
If you would like to make a donation to Mathday
in memory of Ernie Esser, who died suddenly on his way back from Europe to
give his annual Mathday talk "Why do Boomerangs Come Back", the link is
Photos of Ernie Esser
Poster in memory of
- Shawn Baland, Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Reed College: RSA Encryption: Can a Number Keep a Secret?
- Monty McGovern, UW Professor of Mathematics: Stairway to
Heaven: Expressing Real Numbers by Infinitely Tall Fractions
- Kristin DeVleming, UW Graduate Student: To Infinity, and Beyond!
- Jonah Ostroff, UW Assistant Professor of Mathematics: Mildly
Impressive Mathematical Card Tricks
- Annie Raymond, UW Assistant Professor of Mathematics: Math and Your Love Life
- Steve Klee, Associate Professor, Seattle University: The
Math Behind Why Smart Phones (sometimes) do Silly Things
- Sara Billey, UW Professor of Mathematics: Deciphering
- Alex Chirvasitu, UW Assistant Professor of Mathematics: On
- Sam Burden, UW Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering:
Humans & Robots
- Amos Turchet: Prime Numbers, a.k.a Fantastic Beasts and
Where to Find Theme
- Wing Mui, Chair, Overlake High School Math Department: Dancing with the Algebras
The following items are on the current schedule; more may be added.
Field Trips and Labs
- Applied Physics Lab
- Seismology Lab
- Sage Computer Lab
- UW Admissions
- Computer Science and Engineering Tours
- Bell Ringing Demonstration
- Paper folding and geometric models
- Undergraduate panel
- UW Admissions
- Math'n Stuff -- mathematical games
- Luncheon Discussion for Teachers
- Mathematical Card Tricks
- How About Plasmas!
- Knights and Liars
- Mathematician Scavenger Hunt at the Mathematics Research Library
Here's a link to the UW Professional and Continuing Education: Mathday website. It includes registration information.
Wells Fargo and Boeing have generously
made a donation to support Mathday attendance
by schools with underrepresented populations. The deadline for
submitting requests is Friday, January 12, but we will consider
Mathday 2015 photos
photos of mathday 2014.
Photos of Mathday 2013
photos of mathday 2012